Monday, November 26, 2012

Lydia had her first classroom visit at Baden Public School on Thursday.  She was able to spend the last block of the day with her home room, 8B.  She was so excited to go!  She wore her cheerleading hair ribbon in her hair, and jumped for joy in the office upon arrival!  (Her jump is supported, and doesn't entail feet leaving the floor, just legs bending and straightening rapidly.)  She received her planner, and a class photo was taken.  Lydia loves school, and longs to return, but unfortunately, she is far from being able to return for regular classroom instruction. 
She was surprised and delighted to receive the Student of the Month award for her class.   The attribute of the month for November is Hope.   The students in her homeroom class voted her to be the classmate who best embodies the attribute of HOPE.  How beautiful is that?  Her award is proudly hung on our fridge.
In Lydia's music therapy this week, her teacher brought a recorder for her to try.  She figured the recorder was a good stepping stone to the flute, an instrument Lydia began to play in grade 7, and hopes to return to.  We would have never thought that Mary Had a Little Lamb on the recorder, could bring tears to our eyes, but it did, as she played it proudly for us on Saturday morning.  She called Grandparents on Saturday to play the tune for them too.  She has taken her recorder with her, or had it close at hand, to play for all therapists and teachers who come to see Lydia.

On Saturday, we were excited to have the writer personally deliver to our home, several copies of Most Magazine.  Remember the aestheticians and the photo shoot, earlier this month?  They were for this special feature in Most Magazine.  The photography, the story, and how beautifully they are shared, moved us greatly.  Thank you to the team, whose artistic talents collaborated wonderfully.  For those who do not receive Most Magazine, you can view it online at http://www.mostwaterlooregion.com.  Just click on the current issue tab on the far left.  Our story begins on page 24.

We battled with discouragement at times over this past week, as Lydia would ask, "Why is it so hard for me to eat?  ... to brush my teeth? ... to do my hair?"  She is aware of her limitations and frustrated by them.  We encourage Lydia (and ourselves too) by talking about things that she wasn't able to do before, but can now.  We try to get perspective by considering that she has only completed 25%  of her recovery. (This is based on  the 2 year projected recovery time frame for a brain injury patient.  The most significant gains are made within this time frame.  However recovery continues for years. )  
Perspective also returns when we give thanks to the One who gives us all, and when we turn our hearts to Him, trusting in His ways, His timing, and His provision for us all. 
Phil 1:6 ... being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you, will be faithful to carry it on to completion until the day of our Lord.

The opening line of a song that often steadies me, is God I look to You, I won't be overwhelmed.  Give me vision to see things like You do.  Amen 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CR5IoWH9OiI
God I Look to You by Brian Johnson, sung by Jenn Johnson, from the album "Be lifted High"

God I look to You
I won't be overwhelmed
Give me vision to see things like You do
God I look to You
You're where my help comes from
Give me wisdom, You know just what to do

I will love You Lord my strength
I will love you Lord my shield
I will love You Lord my rock
Forever all my days, I will love you God

Hallelujah our God reigns
Hallelujah our God reigns
Hallelujah our God reigns
Forever all my days Hallelujah