Saturday, June 30, 2012

Fourteen years ago today, we wept when we heard the news from the Doctor's office that we were expecting!  We had hoped to be parents, but had to wait for this blessing.  For some years we struggled with infertility.  They were years of longing, and of turning our eyes to God, and trusting Him for his plans for us.  Imagine our delight when what we had hoped for and prayed for, was confirmed, and new life had started within.  I remember skipping through the strawberry patch that day!
Our journey today is somewhat a kin to that.  It is like we now have a fourth child - a newborn.  (Perhaps she will reveal herself to be our first, again, but I accept in my heart that we will not necessarily get the same Lydie Bug back.)  We treasure this new life, we sing over her, we encourage her and we linger at her bed.  We watch her sleep, and we pray over her.  We have entered the sphere of wonder again, where we look to see how this new child is developing, and we envision who she will become.  Delicate details are being created.
On Lydia's birth announcement, we included Psalm 139:13.  For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  Then we had tiny footprints,  with "fearfully and wonderfully made" beneath.
We trust God to be knitting Lydia together again.  All His works are wonderful.  May we wait, with great expectation, for His new creation.
 
I return to the refrain from Lydia's favourite song by Gungor, Beautiful Things.
You make beautiful things,
you make beautiful things out of the dust.
You make beautiful things,
you make beautiful things out of us.
 
You make me new,
You are making me new.