Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lydia had her G tube surgery today at the end of the operating room day.  She just made it in!  We were thinking she might get bumped again today, and then we got the call to the OR.  We thank God for his provision in this.  She has to fast from midnight the night before, and throughout the day, and so after doing that yesterday, and then again today, she was hungry and tired.  The G tube cannot be used for at least 12 hours, so hopefully tomorrow morning she will be given food again.  She presently has an IV. 
The surgery went well.  We were with her in the recovery room, and she was agitated and uncomfortable, and so she was given some pain reliever.  That helped.  She settled, but would be regularly roused as they checked her vitals every 30 minutes.  She fell asleep just before 10 p.m..
Please pray for weight gain, as she has lost weight in the last two weeks; for healing from the surgery and no infections; and for relaxation for her muscles that still have a lot of tone and spasticity, which is normal for her recovery stage in the coma.  We continue to learn more about how a coma is her body's protective response for her brain, as she is not ready for full consciousness.  Today we had the experience of a coma likened to a computer rebooting.  You can move your mouse, or push keys, but nothing happens, and an hour glass shows on the screen telling you to wait.  The computer just needs time to be ready for use again.  Lydia's brain is rebooting, and it takes time - a lot of time and rest.  Months and years, in her case.
At Sick Kid's we see and meet many people with different stories of tragedy and pain.  As I sat with my mom, waiting to be called to the recovery room, the woman beside me sat alone.  She was visibly distressed.  I felt for her, and prayed for her.  The Lord moved friends who were there with us, to talk to this lady, to hear her story, and to offer to pray for her.  She welcomed their presence with her.  She had been sitting for 8 hours while her son underwent a critical surgery.  She was beginning to despair that he had not made it through the surgery.  She sat alone!  That is such a sobering thought.  How is it that we are so surrounded and supported, and this woman sits alone?  Please pray for her and her son. 
The poem footprints has come to mind many times in the last 6 weeks (yes, it was 6 weeks ago today!).  We know that God is always with us.  He never leaves us or forsakes us.  (Hebrews 13:5)  We pray that this woman will come to know the One who can comfort her and sit with her, and carry her through her darkest days.
 
Footprints in the Sand
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"
The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you."
 
Mary Stevenson